Monday, December 29, 2014

Final Adoption Costs

Many people may look at my blog and wonder why I have put every cost on here for Joel's adoption. As stated before I have done this because its the number one question I am asked when people ask me about adoption.  
(Truly its also my most annoying question if I am being honest so I am dealing with it here.)

After wire transfer the total was at $24,539.34

I then had to take 
$647.37 to cover hotel costs in China that couldn't be prepaid
I also had to take $1300.85 to pay for 
Civil Affairs, Finding Ad, Notary Fee, Joel's Passport, Medical Exam for Visa
In addition to above costs I had to pay Tips for my Guides and Drivers while in China
I spent just over $1000 while in China for my meals, tips, purchases, laundry, small amount of touring we did, etc.  (This is the least amount I have ever spent while in China so I was happy.)

So if I did all my math right and didn't miss any expenses Joel's adoption cost a total of 
$27,487.56.
(If we would have had to pay for Jeff a flight to China the cost would have been $28,934.56)

MY advice if you are thinking about adopting.  DON'T THINK ABOUT THE MONEY or you may never do it. It is a lot of money but it is very worth it in the end.  If you truly want to adopt and you have your answer that adoption is for your family He will work it out, He will make it possible.  Sometimes being obedient takes more faith than we think we have at times, this adoption took 100% Faith that He would make it happen because we knew we didn't have the money, we knew Joel needed to receive medical care quicker than an adoption could happen.  So we prayed, we received our answer, we worked as hard as we could and pushed as hard as we could push, I got a job and worked as much as I could, and we then put it in His hands.  He made it happen.  

He made it happen but we had  to do our part as well.  We couldn't sit back and wait for it to happen we had to do all we could and that is why I feel He made it happen.  

We also did fundraising for this adoption, something in the past we never did.  Honestly, its hard to ask for help.  But we found that people wanted to help us grow our family.  So many people were so kind and did fundraisers for us, donated money to help us get Joel home and supported our adoption.  I cried so many times at people's kindness I have never felt more blessed in my life.

So, if you want to adopt.  Pray and Ask.  If its for your family make some goals and plans and work hard to make it happen.  Most agency's have you pay along the way so the costs are not all at once.  Most adoptions take two years so you pay over that time.  Joel's adoption of 4 months is very rare and was this quick due to his sick heart.  We thank everyone who helped us we know we couldn't have pulled it off in that time without everyones support and generosity towards our family.

Finally about ADOPTION COSTS, if your not interested in adopting then don't ask the cost its really none of your business and honestly its rude.  It's like asking what a boob job costs, its very personal, unless you are getting a boob job.  If you really want to adopt then asking the price is fine but say when asking, "I have been thinking a lot about adopting, can I ask how much it costs."  

I don't want my kids growing up thinking we paid for them.  
I do want them to know we did everything possible to make them part of our family!!

No comments: