Sunday, November 7, 2010

I will be honest with this post. We, Real Deals on Home Decor, were asked by ABC 4 to participate in a Bedroom Makeover. I was all for it because I felt like it would be great exposure for our store. The whole process was very unorganized. We had no idea what was going on and what we were supposed to do. I spoke with my friend Cherie who owns the Holladay store. She has become a great friend of mine and I love and admire her so much. She decided to take the bull by the horns and get this job done. I offered to help anyway I could. So, on Friday October 15 we went to meet the woman who had won the makeover and see what her room was like so we would know what we were working with. We had the privilege that day to meet Karen Nieto and her family. Karens husband had submitted her for the makeover because she had recently lost half her leg and part of her other foot due to complications with diabetes. She was an amazing woman with a fabulous attitude, even when so much was going wrong for her. But she had spent a great deal of time in her bedroom since her surgery and her husband wanted her to have a better place to spend her time. After talking with Karen we learned she taught school at Decker Lake (prison for youth offenders). This immediately touched my heart due to my job working with youth. We spoke for a minute and she knew my program and we both knew some of the same boys. When we were in her home they were getting the new carpet laid that day. She mentioned in passing that they had to get rid of their living room furniture due to it being so old. When we left I said to Cherie, she is such a great lady lets make over her living room as well. Cherie being the great woman she is jumped on board and together we got to work.
We first went to K&R Bedspreads to see the colors we would be working with. Remember I said it was unorganized. Well, they had not even contacted K&R to do the bedding. But Kathy was very gracious and just got to work. She gave us a sample and said the bedding would be ready by next week. What an amazing woman to just do it without knowing anything else.

We then went to Cherie's store and picked out what we would use in the room and living room and then I also brought stuff from my store.

Oct. 27th we got together to decorate the home. We were just getting ready to haul the furniture inside (us 3 girls) when some LDS missionaries rode by on their bikes. Cherie, hollered to them and they were so cute and were eager to jump in and give service. They hauled furniture in and out and helped set up the sofas and hung all the wall art. Cutest young men.
Here we are with the missionaries. And this is me, Cherie and Jen my partner at the store. She drove out all the furniture.

The cute boys were so badly hoping to be on TV but they edited them out, it made me sad.

I really wish I had a before shot...

Here is the room after we decorated it.
I was very sad that ABC 4 didn't have anyone paint the room but we did all the accessories along with the mirror over the dresser, lamps, we put the blanket at the end of the bed and added a darling pillow on the bed but I forgot to get a final picture. We also did drapes, it looked so much nicer when we finished and were thrilled to give Karen such a beautiful, new room.

They insisted on keeping the 1970 shelves on the wall so we added really cute decor to bring it into this decade.

And the Living Room (I am sad I don't have before shots so you could see Evander Holyfield hanging on the wall and the Tequila bottles on the entertainment center)
We added this little table with a lamp.

We added this lamp as well as the clock and wall art. Had we of known they had this entertainment center we would have gotten them something updated but oh well.

We also got them this sofa and love seat along with the art.
FINALLY....

The Nieto Family after the makeover was completely finished. Karen had no idea we were doing the living room as well. She called me and was so sweet and she thanked us for all we had done for her and her family. They loved everything.
Everyone who helped with the makeover from left Ogdens Carpets, me from Real Deals, Mattress lady, Nieto family, Cherie from Holladay Real Deals, Kathy from K&R Bedspreads, ABC 4 News guy and girl from the furniture store. And JOB DONE!!
I left their home feeling so good and so thankful that I could help this wonderful family. What a way to start the Holiday Season. Now I really want a job on Extreme Makeovers, how fun would it be to do this every week!!
A couple of days after this I got an email from Cherie thanking me for my help. She paid me a huge compliment that I will cherish always. She said I was her 4th daughter. Cherie, thank you so much for sharing in this experience with me.

3 comments:

Cherie said...

Oh man, you brought tears to my eyes! It was truly a pleasure, how lucky were we to get to do this??? I love you girl!!!!

Patty said...

It looks awesome! What a great experience. I love the comment about the shelves & bring it into this decade. ha ha ha :)

Starr said...

You guys did a great job! And you look darling on TV!