Sunday, February 20, 2011

Tiananmen Square

Today we met our tour guide for Beijing, Forrest Song, and the first members of our group Jackie and John Foster from Texas.  I had spoken to both Jackie and John on the phone so it was great to put a face to the name.  They were so easy to talk to and I was so excited to share this journey with them.  They have twin boy and girl at home age 8 from IVF.  So we had the IVF thing in common except I told them it was a load of crap that they got two their first time, ha ha.  Forrest is all about getting down to business so we headed out to Tienanmen Square and the Forbidden City. 
Forrest explained to us that many people will line up to see Chairman Mao's body that has been preserved.  Yep you can look at him under glass, kinda strange if you ask me.  Chairman Mao changed China forever any many people want to pay their respects to him so they will wait in line for hours to see his body.  So these people will wait in line for hours and then they can stand in the room for a matter of seconds.  Forrest explained that many who come here (Chinese) this is the first stop they make.  We did opted out of this mainly for time, if it was something that didn't take so long I would have loved to see this.  I have studied Chairman Mao some but have lots of questions regarding him.  Many that Forrest was kind enough to answer for me.
I expected to see a ton of Chinese people on this square doing Kung Fu or Tai Chi whatever it is they do but I saw none this day, it was probably to FREAKING COLD!!
I feared this would be every shot I had in China, me in my coat.  It was almost bearable as long as we stayed in the sun.
Getting ready to go into the Forbidden City.
 The Chinese do not call it the Forbidden City but Forrest told us so much
I can't remember what they called it.

No comments: