Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Great Wall of China

This is the part of the trip I had been waiting for.  The Great Wall of China.  You think of China, you think of the wall.  IT WAS FREEZING!!  But once you started hiking you warmed up, I was actually soaked with sweat by time I finished.  We had 1 hr and 45 min to spend at the wall so lets start hiking.
 Brittani, Jeff, Jackie, and John
 The wall is separated into parts and each part has a little fort section.  You can see by the picture above how far it is in a section.  John made it to section 1 and he was done and happy about it. 
The rest of us kept hiking.
 View of the next section of wall.
 Brittani doing her moves she learned from the acrobat show.  The steps of the wall are very uneven.  Some steps are very close together and some of them are huge steps apart.  This made the climbing even harder because you really had to watch your feet and pay attention.
 Jeff climbed I think 3 sections of the wall but I wanted to keep going and
Jackie was a good sport and came with me.
 Here's Jackie
 Heading up the 4th section of the wall.  We soon learned that the wall is very tricky.  You think ok I just need to climb one more section and I will be at the top.  But, every time you got to the top there was another section.  When we got back I asked Forrest how far up it went and he told me it went in a circle.  So, I am glad I quit hiking because I would have gotten to the top and kept going right back to the car.  Actually, next time I go to China I would like to hike the entire circle and see the view from all the areas. 
 I will need a lot more time for this!!
 Base of the Wall
 If you have been paying attention to the views you will notice we started even with the wall and now if you look at the wall you can see how much lower it is behind us.  This is Jackie and I at the top of the 5th section (I think).  We decided to turn around because the wind was picking up and we were sure we were about out of time.  I told Jackie next time we go we must take younger men who can keep up with us!!  This was an amazing site to see no wonder it is one of the 7 Wonders of the World!!


1 comment:

Patty said...

Love those pics! That is definitely something that I would love to do in my lifetime. Younger men, eh? :)