My Mom had the great idea to bike Legacy Highway 24 miles on Labor Day
so I dragged Nikki with us.
Don't we look HOT in our helmets!!
Here are my parents looking FAB in their helmets as well.

This is us at the 1/2 way mark, we had a granola bar, some water and
now we get to pedal the 14 miles back!!
Our butts (except Rob he was just fine) were killing us. Other than my butt I was feeling pretty dang good. I was excited about this since the most I have ever biked before is 3 or4 miles unless you count a spin class..
My mom said all of the sudden she just couldn't peddle any further. She got off her bike and leaned against a fence when a man came by and asked if she was ok. She told him no and he got off his bike and handed her some electrolytes. She couldn't even take them because her entire body had contracted up and she couldn't really move. He squirted them in her mouth and got her into the shade under the overpass and got her drinking and then called 911. The paramedics came and checked my mom out and decided she was dehydrated. Come to find out Mom hadn't eaten since 3 the day before and just wasn't prepared for a 24 mile bike ride. She did make it 22.5 miles before her body gave out. Next time she has a great idea I will come prepared with Gatorade, etc. It was a fun ride until this which was pretty scary. Luckily mom didn't need an ambulance ride but she did need lots of liquids. Scary, I am glad she is safe!!
Here are my parents looking FAB in their helmets as well.
This is us at the 1/2 way mark, we had a granola bar, some water and
now we get to pedal the 14 miles back!!
Our butts (except Rob he was just fine) were killing us. Other than my butt I was feeling pretty dang good. I was excited about this since the most I have ever biked before is 3 or4 miles unless you count a spin class..My mom was doing amazing the entire time, I couldn't believe how fast she was going, etc.
So, at the end mile 20 or so I traded her bikes so she could try mine out to see if she wanted to buy one like mine. Her bike was to small so Nikki and I just decided to hurry and finish the ride because our butts were killing us and now my knees do to her small bike. When we finished I expected them to be right behind us but after 10 minutes they never came. Rob called to tell me my mom wasn't doing so well and the paramedics were going to check her out. So Nikki and I jumped on our bikes and peddled back 1.5 miles to where they were.
My mom said all of the sudden she just couldn't peddle any further. She got off her bike and leaned against a fence when a man came by and asked if she was ok. She told him no and he got off his bike and handed her some electrolytes. She couldn't even take them because her entire body had contracted up and she couldn't really move. He squirted them in her mouth and got her into the shade under the overpass and got her drinking and then called 911. The paramedics came and checked my mom out and decided she was dehydrated. Come to find out Mom hadn't eaten since 3 the day before and just wasn't prepared for a 24 mile bike ride. She did make it 22.5 miles before her body gave out. Next time she has a great idea I will come prepared with Gatorade, etc. It was a fun ride until this which was pretty scary. Luckily mom didn't need an ambulance ride but she did need lots of liquids. Scary, I am glad she is safe!!Next Labor Day it may be a good idea to rest from our Labors!!


No comments:
Post a Comment