Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kians 2nd Surgery on His Palate

On Wednesday November 2, 2011 Kian had yet another surgery.  This was to be the second surgery on his palate to put in a larger prosthesis and to redo his tubes in his ears.
This is Kian at home getting ready to go to the hospital.  Jeff was in Arizona training for his new job and so I was doing this alone.  I am not going to lie I was very scared and wished Jeff was with me.
Once we got there Kian did great and he played as normal.
He was right at home which I have to admit I HATE.  I hate that this sweet little boy is going under for the 3rd time this year.  Its scary and I hate to see him in pain.
This time Kian LOVED the cards at Primary Childrens Hospital.  They gave Kian some drugs to help him relax and then they let him drive???  They came back to bring Kian to surgery and he drove his car all the way there.  I was fighting tears as I leaned in his car to give him a kiss.  He seems so grown up driving back and me not holding him.  But he was brave for us and said, Bye bye Mama!!
The surgery was taking forever.  Finally the doctor came and said everything went well with the tubes and they put new ones in both ears and cleaned them out.  He said he was planning on putting in a bigger prosthesis but when he got in there his palate looked so good that he went ahead and fixed it.  This was great news because it means Kian will not have to have surgery in 6 months.  Then came the scary news.  When they woke Kian up he burst a blood vessel and they couldn't get the bleeding stopped so they were going to have to take him back into surgery.  I started to panic but the doctor reassured me that he was fine but it would be easier to fix if he was under.  I was still panicked so he again reassured me before going back to surgery.  I first prayed and pleaded that my sweet boy would be safe, I then called Jeff and he told me he was going to catch an earlier flight, this made me happy.  I then called my mommy and asked her to come be with me at the hospital.  Of course she left work and headed up because she is always there when I need her most!!  So, they put Kian under and fixed the vessel and then they had to wake him up in surgery again to make sure the bleeding had stopped and then put him out again so they could take out breathing tube and everything.  So my son had A LOT of DRUGS today.  I thought he would just sleep for a long time, NOTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kian laid in my arms for a bit and then he wanted to eat.  He was very MANIC and ate tons and ran around and ate more.  The drugs acted weird on him and made him very hyper.  No one could believe he had surgery and I was scared to death he was going to ruin it all with his spoon as he ate like a wild man.  I kid you not, Kian ate for two straight hours.  He then found his car and played and drove everyone on the unit nuts!!!
Kian likes to test my love for him by scaring me each time he has a surgery.  He never acted like he was in pain at all after this surgery.  We did give him pain meds once to try and get him to go to sleep and he did but it was wild and manic as well.  At about 5am the drugs must have worn off because he calmed down.  Kian was his happy self, the worst part of healing from the surgery was his two week diet of soft foods.  It was hard not to let him eat what he wanted.  Boy were we glad when he could eat whatever he wanted again.  This is one tough kid.  We are so excited that he will not need another surgery until he is 6 or so. We are also excited that he can now drink from a straw, man the things you take for granted!!

No comments: