Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My 1st Trip to Nauvoo











WOW, it is hard to decide what to post about my first trip to Nauvoo. Words are hard to come by to describe such a sacred place as this. Some that come to mind are, blessed, sacred, cherished, sacrifice, enduring, pain, suffering, hard working, faithful, and Saints. I thank the pioneers who sacrificed so much for me so that I can worship without fear. After being in this place for only a few short hours I began thinking how often times we let others offend us and give us excuse to leave the church and I think what would have happened if these people gave up so easily. It put a lot in perspective for me and I feel I owe these pioneers the respect to live a righteous life the best I can and show my gratitude by living the gospel and letting the petty things not effect me. I also wonder if I would have had the strength to continue on and on after being pushed and tested so much. I like to hope that I would have. Seeing the temple on the hill was AMAZING and made the picture complete (well sort of, I will explain later). What an AWESOME structure I can't even begin to understand how they built such a beautiful building back then with such limited resources. That alone strengthens my testimony because I know without a doubt it is the House of the Lord. Next time I go to Nauvoo I will need more days there was so much I missed. I will also work out the problems I have regarding the LDS church not owning all the structures in Nauvoo. I will return to Nauvoo with a more loving and open heart and I will take the tours that are given by the Community of Christ. I must admit that I will continue to pray that one day the LDS church will get back all of Nauvoo. I do understand as well that maybe that time will never come and it may depend upon our worthiness. I will also return to Nauvoo when the temple is open and not closed for cleaning. It was heartbreaking not to enter the Temple and do the work that is needed to be done there. I will also return with my family so they to can experience this wonderful place.




No comments: