May 4th Kian went in for his 2nd set of surgeries. This time was harder than the first time because I think he remembered this place and had no desire to be here and do this again.
Kian will have his lip redone, prosthetic put in his palate, tubes in his ears and be circumcised. So many things but he will already be under so the doctors feel its best to get as many things done at once as possible.
This is us hanging out with Kian before he goes back for surgery. All the doctors came and talked to us before and explained all his surgeries and time it would take.
Primary Children's is an amazing hospital. We were updated the entire time and Kian ended up being in surgery almost 4 hours. My sweet friend Cherie showed up while we were in the waiting room with cokes, candy, magazines and a toy for Kian. She is so sweet and it helped keep my mind off all my sweet boy was going through. I was invited back first and it was so hard to see my little boy all bloody and cut up. I couldn't help but cry knowing that he was in pain.
They had to stitch Kians tongue down while in surgery and they told us they would take out the tongue stitch in the morning.
Kian had to be held the entire time or he would cry. I was a dummy and envisioned Kian just sleeping in his bed so I brought two books to read. Below I finally got Kian to sleep in his bed for about 5 minutes. Other than that I held him or Jeff. At about 4 Jeff had to go to work so my mom stayed with me because I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it alone. I am sure glad I had her with me just to talk things through and cry with.
At 7PM the shift changed for the nurses and Kian had been crying for about 20 minutes. The poor nurse came in to introduce herself and I just lost it on her. I was sobbing saying something is not right, he never cries like this, wha wha wha. So this patient nurse just talked be down and rubbed Kians little head and then called the doctor. Come to find out they were not giving him enough pain meds and were waiting to long in between doses. Once they got ahead of Kians pain he did much better. But the nurses were amazing and the techs even more so and they were so patient. But it was hard to know my baby was in pain so I am glad I spoke up and was his voice.
I had to give Kian to my mom because I had to pee and he cried. He wouldn't go to anyone but Jeff or I the first day and I was so exhausted. But just having my mom there made it so much better. She also brought us Spaghetti Factory and it was yummy we were so hungry. My mom has been so amazing through this entire adoption. I do not know what I would have done without her.
Jeff finally asked the nurse for a big bed since Kian would not go in his crib. This way we could lay and sleep with Kian and not have to hold him and be so uncomfortable. So we took turns one in the bed with Kian and one in the pull out chair. Kian did much better once he got more meds and the bed except for the nurses waking us every hour. I am so thankful that my sweet sister in law Char took Mc so Jeff could stay with me at the hospital, I know I couldn't have survived without him with me.
The next morning the attendee came in to take out Kians tongue stitch. Once he cut it Kian started to cry but he never caught his breath like babies do. I was holding him and he was turning blue. The doctor had me lay him on the bed and told the tech to call a code blue. He then held down his tongue while instructing the nurse to get some oxygen going. Kians oxygen had been going down the day before when he cried but he had never stopped breathing. Within seconds of calling the code blue our room was filled with 20 people. Jeff and I were scared to death waiting for Kian to breath. A nice doctor stood with me with her arm around me and calmly told me what was going on. Once the doctor held down Kians tongue and got the oxygen on Kian started to breath. The whole thing was only 3-5 minutes long but felt like hours. It did take hours for my heart to stop racing. They think that since his tongue had been stitched down when they cut the stitch his tongue went back and cut off his airway. I am so thankful all is well and Kian is fine. Scariest thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!
My cousin Jessy Hall works on the NICU the floor above us and I never thought about her hearing the Code Blue and knowing it was our room. She was scared but we were able to communicate that Kian was fine. I don't know how she does this everyday but I am so thankful there are amazing people like her to help and love our babies.
Kian perked up after the Code and played in the playroom and watched TV with Dad. I was ready to go home but the doctors said we had to stay another day since he quit breathing. I was so sad because I just wanted to go home. Another night in this place almost did me in.
Kian could eat whatever he wanted so we tried a lot of things. We were happy he was eating and drinking. We did have to give him his liquids through a syringe but at least he was eating and drinking.
Of course he had to feed himself, ever so independent. We didn't get a picture but Jeffs mom Judy came to visit and brought us lunch and Kian a book that plays Mozart. Kian loves his book. Judy has been so great to help out whenever we need it. Thanks we love you.
Jen and Brian came to visit and brought McKade up with them. It was great to see Mc and spend time with him in the playroom. I love my friends and appreciate all their love and support. Kian had fun with his BFF Brian.
I am so thankful to have healthy kids. I tried not to complain to much because I am blessed to only have to stay two nights in the hospital. Many families have been here for a 100 plus days with kids so sick. Its so sad and I am so thankful to go home tomorrow.
Me and MY BOYS!!! I love you so much!!
Kian got spoiled at the hospital by the staff with new blanket, bibs, toys and a book. But as spoiled as he was he was as excited as we were to leave the place. Thank you Primary Children's and I hope to not visit again to soon...
I spoke to soon, we left Friday and we were back in the ER on Saturday. Kians glue on top of his stitches were coming off so we had to go and have it removed. It was gross but better the doctor take it off then risk Kian pulling open his lip again.
No comments:
Post a Comment